What Are VA Education Benefits?

If you’re a veteran, you may be wondering what education benefits you’re entitled to. The answer depends on a number of factors, including your type of discharge, when you served, and whether you’re eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

Checkout this video:


The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) provides a variety of education benefits to eligible Veterans, Servicemembers, their spouses and children. These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeships, on-the-job training or other types of training. The type of benefit you receive is based on your eligibility and the type of education or training you want to pursue.

Eligibility for VA education benefits can be determined by submitting a completed Application for Benefits to the VA Regional Office nearest you. Supporting documentation, such as your DD Form 214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty), will be required.

What are the VA Education Benefits?

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) provides education benefits to eligible veterans, reservists, and their dependents. These benefits may be used for degree, certificate, diploma, and other training programs. The VA education benefits include the Post-9/11 GI Bill, the Montgomery GI Bill, the Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program, and the Post-Vietnam Era Veterans’ Educational Assistance Program.

The Montgomery GI Bill

The Montgomery GI Bill, also known as Chapter 30, is available to veterans who have at least two years of active duty service. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible. The benefit provides up to 36 months of education benefits, which can be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeships, and on-the-job training.

To receive benefits, you must first submit a completed Application for Benefits to the VA. Once your application is approved, you will need to provide the VA with evidence of your enrollment in an eligible program, such as a copy of your class schedule or enrollment certificate. You will then begin receiving benefits at the start of each school term.

  Which Of The Following Is True About Continuing Education Courses?

Benefits are paid directly to the student, and can be used to cover tuition and fees, books and supplies, and other educational expenses. The amount of benefits you receive each month is based on the type of program you are taking, as well as your enrollment status.

The Post-9/11 GI Bill

The Post-9/11 GI Bill is one of the most expansive education benefits programs in the history of the United States. It is available to veterans who served at least 90 days on active duty after September 10, 2001. The program covers tuition and fees, as well as a housing allowance and a stipend for books and other materials. The benefits are payable for up to 36 months, and can be used for undergraduate, graduate and technical training programs.

The Yellow Ribbon Program

The Yellow Ribbon Program is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. This program allows institutions of higher learning in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with VA to fund tuition expenses that exceed either the annual maximum cap for private institutions or the resident tuition and fees for a public institution.

The institution agrees to make up the difference between those expenses and the amounts payable under the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

VA will match the amount of funding contributed by the institution, not to exceed 50% of the shortfall. The combined VA and institutional funding cannot exceed the cost of attendance as determined by law.

How to Apply for VA Education Benefits

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) provides education benefits to eligible veterans, servicemembers, and their dependents. These benefits can help you pay for college, graduate school, and other training programs. You can apply for VA education benefits online, in person, or by mail.

  What Every Principal Needs To Know About Special Education?

Applying for the Montgomery GI Bill

If you are interested in using your Montgomery GI Bill benefits to pay for school, you will need to follow a few steps in order to get the process started. You will need to fill out an application, provide proof of your eligibility, and then submit it to the Department of Veterans Affairs.

The first step is to fill out an application. You can do this online or by mail. If you are filling out the application online, you will need to create an account on the VA website. Once you have created an account, you will be able to log in and fill out the application.

If you are filling out the application by mail, you can find the form on the VA website or you can request that a form be sent to you by calling 1-888-442-4551. Once you have the form, you will need to fill it out and mail it to the address listed on the form.

The second step is to provide proof of your eligibility for benefits. The Montgomery GI Bill is available for veterans who have honorably served on active duty for at least two years. If you meet this requirement, you will need to provide a copy of your DD214 or other discharge papers that show your dates of service and type of discharge.

If you are currently serving in the military, you can provide a copy of your leave and earnings statement that shows your active duty service dates as well as your current pay grade and branch of service.

The third step is to submit your application and supporting documentation to the Department of Veterans Affairs. You can do this online or by mail.

  Which Of The Following Statements About The Relationships Among Ses, Education, And Health Is True?

If you are submitting your application online, you will need to log in to your account on the VA website and upload your documents. If you are submitting by mail, you will need to send your completed form and supporting documentation to:

Department of Veterans Affairs
P..O Box 8126
Muskogee OK 74402-8126

Applying for the Post-9/11 GI Bill

You can apply for benefits using VONAPP Online at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill. If you are already receiving benefits from another VA education program, you do not need to complete a new application. You may need to submit additional documentation to switch programs.

If you have questions about which education benefits you’re eligible for, or any other questions related to your GI Bill benefits, please contact the Education Call Center at 1-888-442-4551 Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. (CST).

Applying for the Yellow Ribbon Program

If you’re a veteran or service member who plans to attend a private university or one with out-of-state tuition, you may be eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program. The Yellow Ribbon Program is a voluntary agreement between the VA and participating universities to cover tuition and fee expenses that exceed the highest public in-state undergraduate tuition rate.

To apply for benefits, you’ll need to fill out and submit the Veterans Online Application (VONAPP) form. Once you’ve submitted the form, you should receive a certificate of eligibility (COE) in the mail. After you’ve received your COE, you can contact the school’s veterans office to begin the enrollment process.


In conclusion, there are a variety of VA education benefits available to eligible veterans, service members, and their spouses and dependents. These benefits can be used to cover the costs of tuition, housing, books, and other educational expenses. To learn more about VA education benefits, visit the Veterans Affairs website or speak with a VA representative.

Scroll to Top